This was my first attempt ever at Beef Wellington. I always think to make it to late to thaw the puff pastry. I do not like pate’ so there is none in this recipe. I do have some things I will change for the next time and I will include those changes in the recipe. I used a 12 ounce Filet Mignon this was way to big. The perfect size of Filet I think is 6 to 7 ounces. This is not to say it did not come our outstanding it certainly did but I had to make adjustments during the process.
This was not as hard to make as I thought it might be but it is harder then the average recipe. A probe thermometer is probably a must have tool for this to get perfect temp. I served with bernaise sauce but I think next time I will make a mushroom port gravy
Beef Wellington for one
- 1 Each 6 to 8 ounce center cut Filet Mignon
- 3 Ounces Creminin mushrooms Minced
- 1 Each Shallot Minced
- 3 Ounces Thinly sliced proscuitto
- 1 Tbls Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbls Dry white wine
- 1 Tsp Dry Thyme
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1 Each Sheet Peppridge farms frozen puff pastry Thawed
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp White pepper
- 1 Tsp Olive oil
- 1 Each Egg Beaten
- 1 Tbls Water Added to beaten egg
- Completely trim Filet of fat
- Pre heat skillet add olive oil
- Once oil hot add mushrooms and shallot sautee 5 minutes
- Reduce to medium heat add garlic, Thyme, white wine, salt and pepper
- Sautee for 15 minutes stirring constantly so no burning but should caramelize. Cook until liquids completley evaporated
- Completely cool mushroom duxelle mixture
- Salt and pepper Filet on both sides
- Sear Filet on high heat both sides for 1 minute just enough time to brown
- Remove filet from heat and spread dijon over all of the steak
- Lay Saran wrap out on surface and layer proscuitto slices then spread mushroom mixture over the prosciutto.
- Place Filet on proscuitto and use saran wrap to fully wrap the steak with the proscuitto and mushrrom wrap. Twist saran to maintain shape and refrigerate.
- Thaw puff pastry dough either 40 minutes at room temp or 5 hours under refrigeration. Do not let it get warm.
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees
- For 6 ounce filet cutting the puff pastry in half should be enough a 7x7 inch square
- On floured surface gently roll out puff pastry to a little larger then the package
- Remove saran wrap and place proscuitto wrapped filet on dough and wrap using water to seal edges
- Flip over and place on baking sheet seam side down make 2 small slices on top of dough
- Brush beaten egg was over entire wellington
- Bake for 25 minutes I use a probe thermometer to monitor constant temp
- Cook to 120 Deg for Rare, 125 for Med Rare.
- Rest wellington for minimum 6 minutes max 10 minutes