This is an old school recipe before the era of modern BBQ. The sauce is thinner and more vinegar based. I have never made it and had anyone not rave about it. But to say it is bbq chicken isn’t really describing it well.
Mama's BBQ Chicken
- 8 Each Bone in skin on chicken breast
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups Tomato Juice
- 1/4 Tsp Cayene Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Dry mustard
- 2 each Bay leaf
- 5 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Each Sweet Onion Sliced
- 3/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbls Sugar
- 3 Clove Garlic
- 3 Tbls Butter
- 1 Tsp Corn starch
- Preheat oven to 325 Deg
- Combine all ingredients except chicken and onion bring to boil. Add Corn starch slurry until slightly thick
- Simmer 10 minutes
- Arrange chicken skin side down in roasting pan. Place Onions on top pour sauce on top
- Bake 30 mintues then flip chicken bake another 30 minutes or until temp reaches 165 deg.
Traditionally Mama served with Rice but I think it is far better served with Mashed Potatoes or roasted creamer potatoes.
My mother found my grandmothers original recipe cards. Making sure to give credit this recipe is from Good Housekeeping 1946. The cornstarch is something I added.
MaMa used to “thicken” the sauce with a slurry of cornstarch and water!
Isabel apparently thickening this sauce did not get translated into this recipe. I thought I added it after great minds think alike I suppose.