I have struggled with Potato salad over the years. I love some and I hate many more. I was marinating some Jerk chicken and I decided potato salad would be great pairing today. I called my mom because we had talked Potato salad the other day. She said she had a recipe she wants to vet out and one she loves, but when making it she always burns out. I chose to make that recipe. It turned out to be very good. I did make some changes and I will comment about that in the notes.
My mom thinks it came from a cookbook “the southern woman’s journal”. If that is incorrect I will change soon.
I enjoyed this potato salad tonight with Jerk chicken wings and limeade margaritas!
- 1 Ounce Orange Juice
- 2 Ounce Tequila
- 6 Ounce Limeade
- Add all ingredients to shaker with ice. Shake then our over Ice. Salt rim if you prefer
Southern Potato Salad
- 2 1/12 Lbs Potatoes I used russets
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Italian dressing
- 4 Each Hard Boiled Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Celery Diced
- 1 Cup Green Onions Chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Mayo Dukes
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 Tsp Dry Mustard
- 1 Tsp Horseradish
- 1/2 Tsp Celery seed
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Cup Chopped English cucumber
- Peel Potatoes and boil for 30 minutes or until just soft do not over cook. Use fork to test doness every couple minutes toward the end. They should be firm but not soft
- Cool potatoes for about 15 minutes then halve and slice in 1/3" slices
- Pour italian dressing over and toss thouroughly refirgerate for 2 hours
- Hard boil the eggs ( put eggs in cold water then bring to full boil. Remove from heat cover and 13 minutes later remove) Separate yolks from whites.
- Chops whites and puree yolks with fork
- Mix cucumbers, green onions, celery and egg whites
- Mix mayo, mustard, celery seed, sour cream, pepper, horseradish, and egg yolks.
- Add mayo mixture and cucumber mixture to potatoes stir to thouroughly encorporate
- Cover and refrigerate no less than 2 hours